We would like to take a look at the considerations to migrate to a new database. Alternative DBMS offerings and deployment models hold the promise of reduced operating and maintenance costs. Data and analytics leaders, who should be aware that the success of a migration project depends on an accurate understanding of the time and effort involved, can gain valuable insight here.
The few years have seen an explosion in the growth of DBMS capabilities, with the vendors and new maturing platforms arriving on the scene. Many of these platforms promise the benefits of lower license costs, reduced overheads, and greater agility.
The Business cases for Migration
- Cost – The primary reason Gartner clients consider migration is their desire to reduce costs, based on lower license costs or the shift to a subscription model
- Licensing practices – An organization may not be able to reduce costs for either licenses or support, because of restrictions in the original contract, without leaving the DBMS entirely, This requirement can force the migration to another DBMS
- New requirements – The changing requirements of the digital economy can bring new challenges that are better addressed with a new DBMS. Once the new DBMS enters the IT environment, the new platform presents an opportunity to realize the previously described benefits.
Assess the Technical Aspects of Migration.
- Migrating or creating new data structures – The data structures in your existing DBMS will have to be recreated in your new target. In most cases, an equivalent or near-equivalent data type will be available such as relational to relational. When you try to move to a very different environment, complexity is increased.
- Migrating data – Once you have created the data structures in the target system, you can move the data to this system
- Migrating applications – DBMSs are components in an overall application system; there are several steps involved in getting the whole system properly moved to a new DBMS
Today we have observed aspectㄴ you need to consider and prioritize before migration. In our next blog, we will go further and get the recommendation from Gartner.
[Reference] Rick Greenwald, Donald Feinberg, Adam M. Ronthal, “What to Consider Before Migrating to a New DBMS”, Gartner, November 2016
BITNINE GLOBAL INC., THE COMPANY SPECIALIZING IN GRAPH DATABASE
비트나인, 그래프 데이터베이스 전문 기업