An earthquake is a devastating natural disaster that can happen with no notice, and it is critical that anyone near an active fault line knows how to prepare for an earthquake.
Two earthquakes that jolted South Korea on Monday night, including the largest ever recorded in the country, prompted concerns about the safety of nuclear plants clustered in the quake-prone southeast.
Korea’s Meteorological Agency said the two earthquakes, of magnitude of 5.1 and 5.8, occurred near the city of Gyeongju. They could be felt in the capital Seoul, over 300 km (185 miles) to the northwest.
▲ the earthquake occurrences (pic from csmonitor.com)
Earthquakes are unpredictable and there’s no way to determine what kind of destruction it will bring. Making sure you have an emergency action plan in the event of an earthquake will help to ensure your survival. Let’s take a look at how to prepare for an earthquake, and some basic rules for earthquake survival.
Earthquake Preparedness Guidelines
Where you’re located when an earthquake strikes will determine what steps you should take to protect yourself.
If you’re driving when an earthquake hits;
- Pull over immediately and try to maintain distance from structures, poles and anything else that could potentially collapse onto your vehicle.
- Stay in your vehicle as long as it’s safe to do so.
- Crouch down near the floorboard while covering your head and neck
If you’re outdoors when an earthquake hits;
- Avoid standing near tall structures, poles and electrical wires. If collapse occurs, you will be in danger of falling debris.
- Protect your head from falling debris and seek shelter
If you’re indoors when an earthquake hits;
- Many have suggested the “triangle of life” as a means of shelter. This is a method of survival that instructs you to find a solid structure and crouch next to it; creating a triangle in the event that is falling debris lands near/around you.
- Cover your head and neck and crouch low to the ground to avoid falling or being struck by falling debris
In all of these scenarios, it’s best to stay where you are after the earthquake and wait for help to arrive. However, if you’re able to survey the damage and determine that you can safely leave the area that is another option.
BITNINE GLOBAL INC., THE COMPANY SPECIALIZING IN GRAPH DATABASE
비트나인, 그래프 데이터베이스 전문 기업